Sunday, February 20, 2011

I should be studying, but

Instead, I've been watching this poorly made movie and reading the news. This is how I came across the knowledge that the Demi and Ashton Foundation (which works to eliminate child sex slavery and human trafficking) has teamed up with Jack Vartanian to create a terribly fashionable necklace to help raise money for their foundation. These necklaces are selling for between $710 and $2,760 on Jack Vartanian's website. 50% of the proceeds will go to the Demi and Ashton Foundation.

Clearly, the object of this campaign is to help raise awareness of (and money for) their cause, which is undoubtedly a noble one. However, I can't help but feel that the design of these necklaces is just a little, well, tasteless. Honestly, gold, diamond encrusted handcuff necklaces aren't exactly the epitome of class even outside the context of charity. Also, the fact that they released this collection of necklaces for Valentine's Day seems a little inappropriate.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't help but feel like using a symbol of bondage to raise awareness of a cause in which forcible bondage is often actually used is fairly bad form. Nobody would make earrings shaped like bejeweled shopping carts to help raise awareness for homeless people in Los Angeles, would they? Or a little gold razor blade pendant to to benefit a suicide hotline?

In response to criticism, Demi Moore told the New York Daily News that the necklace "symbolizes the bond of love and the importance of freedom." However, I am still of the opinion that Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore probably could have picked a less offensive symbol for their cause. I would also be willing to bet that if asked, a real victim of human trafficking would not say that the blinged out handcuffs represent love or freedom for them.

2 comments:

  1. Must agree. First thing I thought when I saw the image was how much a kinkster couple I know would appreciate something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting Demi and Ashton on several occasions, I truly believe they have good intentions. I do wonder with you about the taste of using a symbol of bondage to stand against a tragic and disturbing real life bondage.

    Hopefully enough money is raised through this to help overshadow the awkwardness of the symbol.

    ReplyDelete